As part of our new series, we will be profiling the future stars of bowls at both international & county level. In this edition, we focus on Emma Cooper (centre below) of Devon, who recently was selected in the England team for the European Championships and has numerous national titles to her name already.
CLUB: Kings BC
Success to date
LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS:
- National Triples winner – 2021
- National Junior Pairs runner-up – 2021
- Johns Trophy winners (Devon) – 2021
- Top Club winners (Kings BC) – 2019, 2021
- National Fours winner – 2019
- National Pairs r/up – 2019
- National Junior Singles r/up 2019
- National Junior Pairs winner – 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017
- Walker Cup winner (Sussex) – 2018
- Amy Rose winners (Sussex) – 2014
- Senior International 2019-present
- Junior International 2013-14, 2016-present
- China Open winner (England) 2018
- Tiger Bowls Hong Kong winner (England) 2018
- Represented England at the Hong Kong Classic 2018
- County Pairs winner 2019
- County Triples winner 2021
- County U25 Singles winner 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- County U25 Pairs winner 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021
- County Triples winner 2018,2021
- County Fours winner 2018
GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT TO DATE:
Getting selected for the Senior International Team in 2019
MOST MEMORABLE MATCH & WHY:
Probably the National Triples final in 2021 as there was such a great atmosphere, playing in front of the packed stands at Leamington, especially after not having competitive bowls in 2020. Although, memorable for all the wrong reasons would have to be the British Isles Junior Pairs Semi-final in Wales in 2014. We (myself and Lorraine Kuhler) won on the last bowl in the pouring rain and in the excitement I skidded over on the green and landed flat on my back in front of everyone!
I watched my grandad play from a really young age but my first bowling experience was going for my first roll up with my grandad when I was 12
I like to think I stay calm under pressure, and trust myself to be able to draw my way out of trouble if I need to.
BEST FRIENDS IN BOWLS:
All of the Kings girls as we just have fun when we’re playing!
Continue to play well, and hopefully make it into the Elite Squad. My long term goal is to get selected for a future Commonwealth Games
ONE THING YOU’D SAY TO GET SOMEONE TO TRY BOWLS:
Just give it a try, there’s something for everyone in our sport and you might be surprised how addictive it is!
COMMONWEALTH CRYSTAL BALL – HOW WILL TEAM ENGLAND GET ON:
A home games will be amazing for Team England, and I think they will all do really well. I’m looking forward to seeing them up on the podium this summer!
If you know a young player in your club or county who we should feature on a future Bowls NxGen, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.