As part of our new series, we will be profiling the future stars of bowls at both international & county level. First up is Harry Goodwin of Devon, who recently won England Male Rising Star at the Bowls England Awards Night in February.
CLUB: Kings BC (recently moved to Appleyard BC, Kent)
COUNTY: Devon (soon to be Kent)
Success to date
LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS:
- National U25 Pairs winners: 2018 & 2021. Finalist 2019
- National U25 Singles finalist 2021
- National Triples semi finalist 2019 & 2021
- National Club Two Fours winners 2016 & 2017. Finalist 2019
- National Top Club winners 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- White Rose Trophy winners 2015 & 2017
- Middleton Cup winners: 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Finalist 2018
- England U25 international 2017, 2018, 2019
- England Senior international 2019
- County U25 Singles winner 2018 2019 and 2021
- County U25 Pairs winner 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021
- County Triples winner 2021
- County Fours winner twice
GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT TO DATE:
Making my debut for the senior England team.
MOST MEMORABLE MATCH & WHY:
Skipping to win the National Junior Pairs, it gave me the belief that I could win at the top level.
My Grandad Reg took me down to my local club Totnes BC and I had ago at it when I was 6 years old.
I like all events! I love being part of a team as well as competing on my own.
I feel like mentally I’m strong and never give in.
BEST FRIENDS IN BOWLS:
Sam Tolchard, Zac Kidd, Kieran Kniveton, Ryan Whitlock, Glen Adams, James Hampton, Jamie Barker and Louis Ridout
To retain my place in the senior England team and to represent my country in future Commonwealth Games.
ONE THING YOU’D SAY TO GET SOMEONE TO TRY BOWLS:
The social side of bowls is great – you can meet loads of new people at all ages and when you get to a higher level it becomes very competitive and fun.
COMMONWEALTH CRYSTAL BALL – HOW WILL TEAM ENGLAND GET ON:
I think it is a really strong team and I believe England will come out with the most medals as it’s on Leamington giving them a home advantage.
If you know a young player in your club or county who we should feature on a future Bowls NxGen, please email email@example.com.