Over 2000 Lawn Bowls clubs affiliate to Bowls England and each receives a series of exclusive benefits empowering club leaders to provide the best possible environment bowlers. Affiliation to Bowls England also unlocks benefits that are delivered through our development arm, the Bowls Development Alliance.
The Club Services section on our website explores all these benefits and explains how clubs can make the most of affiliation to Bowls England. A summary of these benefits can be seen below:
Player Recruitment and Retention
- Opportunity to be part of the sport’s National Open Weekend in May 2021 and access free resources, guidance and training. Use of the National Open Weekend brand and have your event promoted through a national marketing campaign.
- Opportunity to access Play Bowls packages providing funding and resources to run bowls taster sessions.
- Access to national marketing and PR campaigns and initiatives including Let’s Roll and Women Can to help grow your club.
- Grow your junior membership with access to Junior Development resources, ability to enter Bowls England Junior competitions and be part of the Junior Academy programme.
- Your club featured on Bowls England’s online Club Finder so newcomers can easily locate your club.
- Access to Diversity and Inclusion support to help your club broaden its playing base.
Development and Training
- Opportunity to benefit from a Club Development Programme delivered by experts from our development arm, the Bowls Development Alliance. The tailored programme supports clubs across a whole range of areas such as club management, volunteering, recruitment and coaching.
- Access to Club Matters providing free, convenient, practical resources to help your club to develop, grow and become more sustainable and successful.
- Access to a wide range of officially recognized coaching and umpire courses and qualifications through our delivery partners Coach Bowls and the English Bowls Umpires Association.
- Access to Bowls England webinars and podcasts providing club leaders with advice and best practice on topics that have been identified as important.
- Opportunity to nominate individuals or your club for National Awards such as the Merit Award so we can celebrate the unsung heroes within our sport.
Finance and Business
- Heavily discounted Civil and Employer’s Liability Insurance through trusted partner Sutton Winson, saving money on this essential requirement.
- Access to an interest-free Club Loan to enable clubs to make that important capital investment.
- Access to a free Grant Finder service enabling clubs to identify potential funding opportunities and unlock new pots of money.
- Opportunity to access bursaries delivering significant savings for affiliated clubs on Coach Bowls coaching qualifications and EBUA umpire qualifications.
- Free Legal Helpline to assist clubs across a range of issues for example leases, constitutions, disciplinary matters and employment law.
- Guidance and support on club disciplinary matters disputes, complaints and grievances to help you navigate through challenging situations.
- Access to up-to-date Health and Safety guidance and support to avoid your club tripping up.
- Access to the latest Covid-19 guidance, support and resources to help your club get back to bowls.
- Support, template policies, training and guidance in relation to safeguarding in order for your club members to enjoy our sport safely.
- Access to our Greens Maintenance Advisory Service providing free, practical and independent advice to give your club the best possible playing surface.
- Opportunity to access a Greens Bursary saving successful clubs up to £200 per year on a Greens Maintenance qualification.
- Access to our quarterly e-newsletter for green-keepers called Cutting Edge providing insight, advice and offers to those who look after your green.
Competition and Events
- Ability to enter National Championships and Competitions and compete in the National Finals at Victoria Park, Leamington Spa, venue for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Opportunity to access a Celebration Match, in which a Bowls England team led by its President will play a club team to mark your special occasion or anniversary. Celebration Matches give clubs an opportunity to raise awareness and generate income.
- Ability to apply for a Tournament Licence to ensure your club’s events are run properly and prize funds are handled appropriately.
- Discounted access to Bowls England events such as dinners and awards ceremonies.
Club Support Network
- Access a team of Bowls England and Bowls Development Alliance experts who can help you make the most of affiliation.
- Access to our monthly e-newsletter for club leaders providing insight, advice and news related to club management.
- Access to Facebook Groups to share best practice and network with other club leaders.
Coming for the 2021 Season…
Informed by the Club Survey, the Bowls England Club Services Team is currently exploring other benefits as we always look to provide more support to our clubs.
- Ability for clubs taking part in the National Open Weekend to access an appearance from a Commonwealth Games Squad member.
- Improved club resources to help you to run your club including updated Model Constitution, job descriptions for key club officers and financial management advice
- Opportunities for your members and their friends/families to raise funds for your club when they do their weekly shop
- A free online club membership management system
- Online rink booking and cashless payment services