Tavistock Sir Francis Drake
Club ID: 08090
Club Type: Mixed
Contact: Mrs Diana Smirles
Tel: 01822 612763
Email 1: email@example.com
The Club was formed in 1914 for outdoor Lawn Bowls. It was a gentlemen-only club until 1947 when a ladies section was formed. The indoor Short Mat section was formed in 1987. There is a seven-rink outside green together with three rinks for Short Mat in the Clubhouse.
Facilities include men's changing room, ladies' changing room, visitors' changing room, equipment store and machinery shed together with a Clubhouse which includes a licensed bar, toilets and kitchen with an outside patio area.
The Club is named after Sir Francis Drake, as he was born in 1542 at a farm one-mile from the site of the Club. He became famous as a seafarer and, in 1588 when the Spanish Armada was sighted sailing up the English Channel, he was playing bowls on Plymouth Hoe when he decided to finish his game before setting sail with his fleet to engage the invaders. A monument to his memory stands not far from the Club.
The Lawn Bowls season commences in April and finishes in September with the Short Mat running from September to April. Both sections play League and Friendly matches during their seasons and host their own annual tournaments.
23 May 2019
England gold rush at Atlantic Championships in Wales
England’s lawn bowlers struck gold at the Atlantic Championships in Wales today achieving two more individual gold medals, as well as securing silver in both the men’s and women’s team events.Read more
16 May 2019England secure men's pairs gold at Atlantic Championships Read more
09 May 20192019 Atlantic Championships start tomorrow Read more
09 May 2019Norfolk Bowls Association announce sponsorship with East Bilney Garage Read more