Knowing the Lingo
Home Getting Started Playing Bowls Bash Scoring Bite-sized Rules
Find a Bowls Bash Club Know the Lingo Become a Bowls Bash Club
All sports have their own language but not to worry! Now you’re ready to get started, here are a few terms that will help you understand how to play.
- Rink – the lane on which you’ll play your Match. There are 6 Rinks on most bowls greens.
- Ditch – the trough surrounding the outside of the green
- Jack – the target ball to which you are trying to get close
- Mat – from where you deliver the bowl
- Kiss – when your bowl touches the Jack either when you bowl it or it is knocked into the Jack by another bowl
- End – when all players have bowled their 3 bowls at the Jack
- Set – this is made up of 5 Ends, whoever scores the most points wins the Set
- Power-play – a chance to earn double points on an End
- Tie-break – one End to decide the winner if the Sets are tied at 1-1, one bowl per player
- Spot – the position on the Rink where the Jack at the start, and if the Jack is hit off the Rink