2022 promises to be a bumper summer for bowls in England. We are excited to confirm both the National Finals Schedule, and the National Competitions Formats, for 2022. You can find these below, as well as the rationale behind the choices we have made.
National Competitions Entries will open on Monday 15th November 2021 at midday via our website. Previous entrants will be emailed directly.
National Finals 2022 | Confirmed Schedule
We are delighted to publish the confirmed schedule for the National Finals 2022, which you can find here or via the button below.
Given the timing of the Commonwealth Games and Bowls England’s access to Victoria Park, the Finals will begin later and run into mid-September. This creates opportunities for us but we are aware this may cause issues for some participants & spectators with the return of children to school. Taking into account all factors, wee have devised this schedule with the following key principles in mind:
- We aspire to build on the excitement and reach of the home Commonwealth Games to create a great event for players and spectators.
- We are endeavouring to maximise the number of players participating in National Championships during the first 11 days of event (prior to many schools returning w/c Monday 5th September).
- With this in mind, all junior events will be concluded prior to the return to school, or at weekends.
- The Johns Trophy and Middleton Cup Finals will have their own separate finals days at weekends given their importance to players, spectators and counties.
- With the increased length of matches in National Championship events, we will hold a maximum of two rounds per day per event in Pairs, Triples and Fours events, with Junior Pairs to remain with three rounds per day if required – subject to qualifier numbers. National Competitions of shorter duration will provide the opportunity for three rounds per day to assist with scheduling.
- We have aimed to reduce clashes wherever possible.
We appreciate there may be a number of further questions regarding our reasoning behind this schedule, and we have answered likely queries below
National Competition Formats 2022
We will be running all of the National Competitions in 2022 using the following formats:
- Champion of Champion/Senior Singles | 21 up
- Mixed/Senior/Family Pairs | 18 ends 3 bowl
- Mixed Fours | 18 ends 2 bowl
- Club Two Fours/Tony Allcock Trophy | 18 ends 2 bowl
- Men’s & Women’s Top Club | All disciplines to mirror National Championship formats (i.e. 4 bowl pairs/18 ends, three bowl triples/18 ends and two bowl Fours/18 ends)
Please note, the formats for National Championship events were announced in September and you can view details here.
All National Competitions shall comprise of 32 areas – organised geographically to reduce travelling in the early rounds wherever possible. Counties with a high number of entries may be split into two areas, counties with a low number of entries may be paired with a neighbouring county to form an area. The round of 64 will be the area final (county final for most), the round of 32 & 16 will take place at a regional final – dates and venues to be confirmed – in the following Competitions:
Men’s Senior Singles
Men’s Senior Pairs
Men’s Champion of Champions
Women’s Senior Singles
Women’s Senior Pairs
Women’s Champion of Champions
All National Competitions will feature 8 qualifiers at the National Finals 2022. All Inter-Club events will also feature 8 qualifiers, but without regional finals.